January 15, 2022 @ 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm MST$25.00
Learn the basics of orienteering with a compass and navigating with a topographical map and associated tools. You will learn:
- Terrain features
- How to orient a map to the terrain
- Identifying terrain features on a map
- Compasses and their use
- Calculating true north declination
- Finding your location using a map and compass
- Plotting distant locations on a map at varying granularity
- Pace counting
- How to find direction without a compass
- Arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the class start time. If you are late, we reserve the right to turn you away as a no show.
- Bring your ticket(s)
- Wear clothing that will allow you to be fairly comfortable outdoors
- Wear a hat with a bill
- Bring plenty of water and snacks – you will be outdoors the entire class
- If the weather is inclement, we WILL train. If the weather is dangerous, we will postpone or cancel via email.
- From I-10, take exit 232 Pinal Airpark Rd
- Enter the Pinal Airpark and take a RIGHT at the Y in the road
- Drive to the stop sign, the range is to your front. You will see a red range flag and signs.